Re: [PECL-DEV] Debian request to change the PHP license for Extensions

On Jun 27, 2014 12:00 PM, "Ferenc Kovacs" <tyra3l@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Pierre Joye <pierre.php@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Amen.
>> >
>> > And it cannot be done without asking every single contributor. Let say
>> > it is an impossible task at this point, or very very hard.
>>
>> Keeping in mind that the only actual issue we had in the PHP License
>> was fixed in 3.01.
>>

> The existance of 3.01 means that it is possible to update our license (of course other projects are free to stick to an older one if they want as described in clause 5).
> I don't want to rush things, I'm just saying that maybe we should consider revisiting/rewording our current license to make it more clear regarding the usage for extensions and stuff.
>
> When comparing http://www.php.net/license/3_0.txt with http://www.php.net/license/3_01.txt I can see that clause 6 was changed from
>
>   6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
>      acknowledgment:
>      "This product includes PHP, freely available from
>      <http://www.php.net/>".

>   6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
>      acknowledgment:
>      "This product includes PHP software, freely available from
>      <http://www.php.net/software/>".
>
> Which is still confusing imo. One interpretation is that we consider the exts as derived work, and this is what we are referring to as includes, but it could be also interpreted, that this project is a php software, distributed through http://www.php.net/software/ implying that you can't use the license if you aren't distributing your software there.
> And to tell you the truth, I have never seen this possible interpretation before you mentioned this restriction today.

It is clearly defined in the license. I am not sure how it could be more clear without adding more confusion.

Discussions were also very clear and constructive back then. That's why I really do not understand what debian wants now.