Re: CC-BY-SA-4.0

Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> It would be especially nice if someone could refer to or write a
> short digest about differences from v3.0.

I tried to wdiff
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode and
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode and it's
basically unusable.  :-(

Reading them side-by-side:

1. A broader "Adapted Material" replaces "Adaptation" and there's a
few new terms like CARR and Database Rights, while some like Publicly
Perform and Reproduce are removed. No Overall Change for DFSG IMO;

2. The "Fair Dealing Rights" section is merged into the license grant
section - NOC;

3. Minor wording changes to the licence grant (irrevocable instead of
perpetual, for example) - NOC;

4. The "Restrictions" section becomes "License Conditions" with
similar minor wording changes. I think the new phrasing is much
simpler but I didn't spot any substantial changes except the explicit
approval of pseudonyms. NOC;

5. New section on "Sui Generis Database Rights" which I guess may be
an ODBL-killer.  Looks like a useful supplement;

6. More wording changes about warranties and liability and at least
it's only in bold and not HARD TO READ CAPITALS now. Improvement;

7. The Termination section gains an automatic restart clause.
Interesting and debatable but NOC for DFSG;

So it's no worse than 3.0 and I don't remember what I thought of that :-)

> [2]: https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses

I'll update that now.

Hope that helps,
- --