Re: Unteralterbach visual novel (was: Re: Introduction)

Hi there,

On 10/03/14 at 14:57 +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> >> Having read your report, even if someone decided to package it, I
> >> wouldn't advise to include it in the archive without speaking
> >> beforehand with lawyers that could advice us on the possible risks.
> >> I'm not familiar enought with the law in different countries to know
> >> what's allowed or not, but from your analysis I fear that by
> >> distributing it we might be puting in risk the administrators of some
> >> of our mirrors, and I'd like to be sure that's not the case. On the
> >> other hand, it's almost impossible to make something that it's not
> >> illegal in at least one country in the world. For example, I would be
> >> a strong supporter of having LGBT-themed games in the archives, and
> >> they might not be legal in Russia.
> >
> > I agree and consider it a bad thing if anyone suffers because of this.
> >
> > How are these issues handled currently?
>
> I honestly don't know. Probably the DPL might have an idea, or maybe
> someone in Debian Legal.

We could consult our legal support at SFLC about this. That's what we
did for the ongoing work on packaging a library required to play many
DVDs.

However, there are really both moral and legal sides in this discussion.
Even if it was OK to accept such a package from the legal side, Debian
(ftpmasters) could still decide that it would not be OK, on moral
grounds, to accept such a package in Debian. So I'd rather wait until
ftpmasters say that it's useful to bring SFLC in the loop before doing
so.

Lucas