Re: The "Evil Cookie Producer" case

> "In accordance with Section 7(b) of the GNU Affero General Public
> License, you must retain the producer line in every PDF that is created
> or manipulated using iText."

Hello,

in my understanding of section 7 of the AGPL, the supplemental terms are there
to ensure compatibility with other free license, and the ‘legal notices or
author attributions’ that are the object of the paragraph b) are typically
found in the program's source code, not in code or the data generated by the
program. The GPL has a similar section.

Regardless of the purpose and the intentions behind requiring to ‘retain the
producer line in every PDF that is created or manipulated using iText’, if this
addition to the AGPL does not fall under Section 7(b), this makes iText potentially
incompatible with other works released under the (A)GPL license. That alone may
be a reason to reconsider this additional term.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan