gammu: gnapplet.sis requires packages which are not in our archive (was: distributing precompiled binaries)

reopen 521448 !
retitle gammu: gnapplet.sis requires packages which are not in our archive
stop

Justification: Policy 2.2

This email is to reopen bug 521448.  As I understand the close
message, while gammu's source does contain source code for
gnapplet.sis, it requires "packages which are not in our archive at
all for compilation".  That's given in debian-policy section 2.2.2 as
an example of something which should be in the contrib section of the
archive network, so this seems still a problem.  A split package would
be better than pointing users upstream, IMO.

The section of debian-policy is
http://www.fr.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-contrib

The email discussion of gammu's gnapplet.sis and a similar case starts at

It finished with:-
Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:33:59 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:
> > Francesco Poli  wrote:
> > > It seems to me that bug #521448 is an attempt to report this [...]
> > Reopen and retitle?  [...]
> Could you please do that?  [...]

Done.

Thanks for your time and hope this isn't too awkward to fix.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef