Re: Judgement about the EUPL

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:36:02 +0100 Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> EUPL v1.1 full text:

Thanks Miriam!

>           European Union Public Licence (EUPL) v1.1
>
>               Copyright (c) 2007 The European Community 2007
[...]
>    5. Obligations of the Licensee
>       The grant of the rights mentioned above is subject to some
>       restrictions and obligations imposed on the Licensee. Those
>       obligations are the following:
[...]
>           o Compatibility clause: If the Licensee Distributes and/or
>             Communicates Derivative Works or copies thereof based upon
>             both the Original Work and another work licensed under a
>             Compatible Licence, this Distribution and/or Communication can
>             be done under the terms of this Compatible Licence. For the
>             sake of this clause, "Compatible Licence" refers to the
>             licences listed in the appendix attached to this Licence.
>             Should the Licensee's obligations under the Compatible Licence
>             conflict with his/her obligations under this Licence, the
>             obligations of the Compatible Licence shall prevail.
[...]
>                                  Appendix
>
> "Compatible Licences" according to article 5 EUPL are:
>     * General Public License (GPL) v. 2
[...]

Without looking at the rest, I think that the quoted parts should be
enough to (artificially) create GPLv2-compatibility.

Moreover, since combining with GPLv2'ed code allows one to distribute
the whole resulting work under the GPLv2, I think this trick should be
considered enough to turn any EUPL'ed work into one that complies with
the DFSG.

Or am I wrong?

Usual disclaimers: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx