Re: Short copyright notice in script file

On Monday 16 March 2009 04:17:35 am MJ Ray wrote:
> Sean Kellogg <skellogg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just in the interest of clearing up common copyright law
> > misunderstandings, the right to redistribute is not a matter of
> > copyright law. [...]
>
> Distribution is mentioned explicitly as secondary infringement of
> copyright in UK legislation (Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988
> as amended, s23).  There's also Section 18: Infringement by issue of
> copies to the public; and Section 20: Infringement by communication to
> the public.
>
> Please give references that illustrate the scope of opinions stated
> here.  Sadly, debian cannot always rely on US law, can it?

Damned if I do... damned if I don't. Can't really help the UK if they have decided to extend copyright law to mean something beyond the rights surrounding copying of a thing. Copyright law has no more business governing what one does with a *thing* after it has been produced than patent law has to do with trademarks. The concepts all intersect in interesting ways, but the scope of the subject matter is reasonable well defined.

But, seriously, I'm not gonna play the "not in my jurisdiction game"... it's a game one cannot possible win, and ultimately not very interesting or helpful.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
e: skellogg@gmail.com

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We are the change that we seek.