Re: Short copyright notice in script file

Alexander Block <ablock@blocksoftware.net> wrote:
> I'm not in this list, please set me in CC when replying.
>
> I'm packaging a script (cnetworkmanager) at the moment which contains a
> small python script [1] that contains a very short copyright/legal notice:
>
> # (c) 2004 Matt Johnston <matt @ ucc asn au>
> # This code may be freely used and modified for any purpose.
>
> Is it ok to use such code in debian packages?

There's no clear permission to distribute in any way, so it's not
great.  I believe we're unlikely to get sued for it, but it would be
better if Matt Johnston had used a widely-known licence instead of
that.  Best course of action is to request relicensing.

I'm not sure whether ftpmaster would let that in as-is or not.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef