advice on correct debian/copyright

[Please CC me on replies as I'm not subscribed to the list.]

Hi,

I'm currently trying to package gwyddion [0] and I got a REJECTED
because of incomplete debian/copyright file. To be able to fix this, I
would need some advice. Many thanks for your help!

[0] http://gwyddion.net/

The problems are the following:
1) gwyddion contains many files, having the main two authors as
copyright holders, but for some reason differing copyright years. I'd
like to use the proposed machine-interpretable format [1] for my
copyright-file, so do I need to have one paragraph (Files: ...
Copyright: ... License: ... lines) for each of the occuring copyright
years?

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

If not, how to choose the year when putting several files with different
copyright years together in one paragraph?

2) Do I need to include all files like Makefile.in and configure* and so
on with their copyrights/licenses? Do I need to specify the author of
these files (copyright is usually FSF)?

3) Upstream have a file, which they've taken from somewhere else,
retained their copyright notice, changed a whole lot in the file and
then copied their copyright notice in front of the other one. ftpmaster
didn't seem to like this either. What's wrong?

Many thanks for some hints/pointers! If you need more
information/clarification, I'll be happy to provide that!

Best Regards,
Jan