Re: Policy on Binary Firmware Fetching in Main (e.g. foo2zjs)

michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com wrote:

>> You are missing the point: some printers may or may not work, but the
>> program itself still has the same capabilities and is not influenced by
>> what getweb does.
>that's why it is ok for most of the program to be in main.  its just getweb
>that depends on non-free data.
No, it does not.

>the reason is that getweb depends on external/non-free files.  this makes the
>package unacceptable for inclusion in main (which is to consist of packages that
>only depend on free data).
Bullshit again. The package is at worst an installer, which have always
been contrib material by themselves or accepted in main as part of a
larger package.

>> There is no dependency and we are talking about an installer (which is
>> contrib material, not non-free material) which is only an additional
>> component of the whole package. It is a completely different case.
>this sounds like you agree that getweb should be in contrib.
No, this sounds like you are not aware of how this kind of programs has
been evalued by the ftpmasters for about the last 10 years.

--
ciao,
Marco