Re: Choosing a license for Frets on Fire songs

Terry Hancock <hancock@anansispaceworks.com> wrote: [...]
> Apparently, if you *haven't* signed with any collecting agencies, these
> folks automatically get the right to collect royalties "for" you.
> [...] it stinks to high heaven -- it's one of the political
> doublespeak moves where you create an organization ostensibly to
> \"protect\" small interests, but the actual effect is calculated to
> bury them.

Establishment of rights charging is a key part of the 'new enclosures'
problem that the European Free Alliance and various activist groups have
been warning about for years.  (I spoke at an European Social Forum
workshop on the topic in 2004, for example.)

If there is anyone willing to test the validity of these monopolies in
general in a EU country's courts, then I'd expect support from a wider
political scene, as well as interested projects like CC, SPI and debian.
Please keep letting us know how Frets on Fire develops.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef