Re: Choosing a license for Frets on Fire songs
- To: email@example.com
- Cc: Jason Spiro <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Miriam Ruiz <email@example.com>, Matthew Johnson <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Sami Kyostila <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Choosing a license for Frets on Fire songs
- From: Don Armstrong <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:46:15 -0700
- Message-id: <20070328004615.GV13736@volo.donarmstrong.com>
- Mail-followup-to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Jason Spiro <email@example.com>, Miriam Ruiz <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Matthew Johnson <email@example.com>, Sami Kyostila <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com> <20070328000743.GU13736@volo.donarmstrong.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Jason Spiro wrote:
> Maybe if debian-legal or I wrote the license (I have never written a
> license before, but maybe I could modify the MIT license) we could
> get Teosto to agree on more liberal terms than we would get if
> Teosto wrote one?
The following is what I would use if I were to license my own
compositions for distribution in Debian:
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
a copy of this work (the "Work"), to deal in the Work without
restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy,
modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of
the Work, and to permit persons to whom the Work is furnished
to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
in all copies or substantial portions of the Work.
THE WORK IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE WORK
OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE WORK.
1: If you're feeling generous enough to call them that...
"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none is possible."