Re: Review of a pseudo licence statement

<posted & mailed>

Alexis Sukrieh wrote:

> [Please CC me, I'm not subscribed]
>
> Hi,
>
> I intent to package[1] the Perl module libnet-amazon-s3-perl (because
> it's needed by the package backup-manager).
>
> 1: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=368734
>
> The problem is that the copyright notice I can find in the upstream
> sources does not refer to a real licence. It sounds to me that it's free
> software, but I'd like to have your point of view before I upload the
> package.
>
> Here it is:
>
> #  This software code is made available "AS IS" without warranties of any
> #  kind.  You may copy, display, modify and redistribute the software
> #  code either by itself or as incorporated into your code; provided that
> #  you do not remove any proprietary notices.  Your use of this software
> #  code is at your own risk and you waive any claim against Amazon
> #  Digital Services, Inc. or its affiliates with respect to your use of
> #  this software code. (c) 2006 Amazon Digital Services, Inc. or its
> #  affiliates.

This is a correct and legal copyright notice and license.

FYI, the actual "license" is:
"You may copy, display, modify and redistribute the software
code either by itself or as incorporated into your code; provided that
you do not remove any proprietary notices."

"License" means "Permission".  This statement grants us all the permissions
we need.  It is a license.  It is DFSG-free.

It's important that this license actually applies to all the upstream files,
and not just some of them.  But I'd assume that it does unless you have some
reason to believe that it doesn't.

Put this entire statement in the debian/copyright file:

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...