Re: kernel firmwares: GR proposal

Sven Luther wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 01:57:31AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
<snip>

>> At least we actually have the source for the acenic code, even though we
>> don't have a free license for it.
>
> Euh, no, it is a binary-only firmware blob last i checked, but i may be
> wrong.

Yes, but the source is available elsewhere (under an annoying and very much
non-free license).  Look at the "arsenic" project: they patched
and "improved" the firmware.  As a result of this, they also distribute the
original firmware....

<snip>

>> > Well, assuredly, but i think that another difference may have been the
>> > more reasonable and well though-out mail with some legal analysis, and
>> > the fact that what we demanded was quite easy for them to do. Also, the
>> > timeline was maybe one of more maturity and sensibility on this
>> > subject, and we had a rather huge thread on LKML when it happened. From
>> > your past posts on the subject, i believe that maybe the wordings you
>> > chose where not the best ones, but as i have not seen said mails ...
>>
>> Probably not the best words.  I was very polite to them, since I really
>> figured it was just an honest mistake (which it was), but I probably came
>> across as an "unimportant nobody" and they figured it wasn't worth
>> wasting their time.
>
> Yep, which is why it is important to find out the list of
> licensors/copyright holder of the other problematic cases, and someone,
> preferably imbued with an official and announced delegation from our DPL,
> will contact them on Debian's behalf. Ideally, we would do it in such a
> way that it is precedeed with a slashdot article, and/or other widespread
> press campaign, or something.

Good idea.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...