Re: cdrtools - GPL code with CDDL build system

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:21:08 +0000 Måns Rullgård wrote:
>
>> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:

>> > ITYM dvd+rw-tools,
>>
>> That's what I use for burning DVDs.  It doesn't handle CDs though.
>
> Ouch! It seems that we are left with *no* DFSG-free tools to burn CDs in
> Debian, until someone forks cdrtools (from a version prior to the
> license "clarifications") or implements an equivalent program suite...

JS insists that his "clarifications" also apply to previous versions
of cdrecord...

>> > since dvdrtools is in non-free too...
>>
>> Someone's launched an investigation into the reason for this.  Let's
>> wait and see what comes back.
>
> Assuming that its debian/copyright file is accurate (in Debian sid), it
> seems that the same license (and added restrictions, passed off as
> "license interpretation") applies.
> If this is the case, my bet is that dvdrtools is in non-free for pretty
> the same reason why cdrtools should not be in main (at least, not as it
> is now)...

The dvdrtools web page has this paragraph:

  dvdrtools is a fork of cdrtools, with the primary goals of remaining
  100% Free Software (dvdrtools is a fork of the last version of
  cdrtools without any "you are not allowed to modify this section"
  comments), and adding support for DVD-R/DVD-RW drives and media.

Checking the source, none of the troublesome bits from cdrtools are
there, and the build system is replaced with automake.  I can't see
any problem with it.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com