Re: cdrtools - GPL code with CDDL build system

* Mns Rullgrd <mru@inprovide.com> [060319 01:14]:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:
> > Not just linking; it's the creation of a derivative work of a GPLed
> > work. Frankly, I don't see how you can argue that cdrecord is not a
> > derivative work of the GPLed part of cdrecord and the build system.
>
> I disagree.  The final executable is no more a derivative of the build
> system than it is of the compiler.  After all, no parts of the
> makefiles end up inside the executable.

I think derivative or not is not the question here, but the GPL
explicitly demands that the build system is available under
GPL-compatible changes.

from Section 2 of the GPL:
# b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
# whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
# part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
# parties under the terms of this License.

from Section 3 of the GPLL:

# Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
# source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
# 1 and 2 above on a medium [...]

# For an executable work, complete source
# code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
# associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
# control compilation and installation of the executable.

"scripts used to control compilation" is clearly what we currently
refer to as "build system".

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link