Re: GPL v3 possible issues.

I would much much rather use a Free software (ie GPL) DRM program than
a proprietary one, because as we know, content providers *are not*
going to give us open content or content without DRM. Open content is
not, in my view, an issue like Free Software is, while DRM is a
restriction that the GPL needs to allow (as a compromise).

andrew

On 3/19/06, Måns Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com> wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:15:40PM +0000, John Watson wrote:
> >> On controlling music, I personally see no issues with this. With
> >> out DRM, music or other media type content could not be legally
> >> made available over the Internet.
> >
> > This is false.  Without DRM, certain greedy and immoral content
> > providers will be *unwilling* to provide music over the Internet;
> > but I am aware of no copyright laws in any jurisdiction that
> > *mandate* the use of DRM.
>
> Well, since the content providers appear bent on using DRM, I'd rather
> have them use an open source DRM than some Sony-style rootkit.  The
> majority of the content will always be non-free anyhow (and I don't
> have a problem with that), so an unobtrusive, portable DRM scheme
> isn't inherently bad in my view.  DRM becomes nasty when it is closed
> and difficult (or even illegal) to use on your operating system of
> choice.
>
> --
> Måns Rullgård
> mru@inprovide.com