Re: GPL v3 possible issues.

> On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:15:40PM +0000, John Watson wrote:
>> On controlling music, I personally see no issues with this. With
>> out DRM, music or other media type content could not be legally
>> made available over the Internet.
>
> This is false.  Without DRM, certain greedy and immoral content
> providers will be *unwilling* to provide music over the Internet;
> but I am aware of no copyright laws in any jurisdiction that
> *mandate* the use of DRM.

Well, since the content providers appear bent on using DRM, I'd rather
have them use an open source DRM than some Sony-style rootkit.  The
majority of the content will always be non-free anyhow (and I don't
have a problem with that), so an unobtrusive, portable DRM scheme
isn't inherently bad in my view.  DRM becomes nasty when it is closed
and difficult (or even illegal) to use on your operating system of
choice.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com