Re: Results for Debian's Position on the GFDL

On 17 Mar 2006 14:31:11 -0500, Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
> Raul Miller writes:
> > On 3/15/06, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > But I don't see why this should be considered a serious issue.
>
> It is a serious issue because the GFDL clause that MJ Ray quoted above
> is clearly not restricted to copies that you distribute.  It says
> "copies that you make or distribute".

But file permissions do not constitute a restriction on further copying
unless the copy with the file permissions is distributed.

Put differently: the GFDL does not extend the scope of copyright
law.  Thus, it can not be taken to apply where copyright law does
not apply.

--
Raul