Re: Results for Debian's Position on the GFDL

Scripsit Anthony DeRobertis <anthony@derobert.net>
> Henning Makholm wrote:

>>>    "You may not use technical measures to obstruct or control the
>>>    reading or further copying [by the intended recipient] of [all] the
>>>    copies you make or distribute [to him]"

>>But how can we explain away "make or"?

> I'm pretty sure I carefuly did so --- if you make a copy and do not
> distribute it, then the intended recipient is either you or no one.

I don't think that works. Since the GFDL says "make or distribute" it
clearly tries to apply the standard to copies that are made but not
distributed (nor intended to be distributed).  An interpretation that
makes "make or" a no-op (because the sentence would have the same
meaning without those words) is not likely to be legally accepted.

--
Henning Makholm      "Guldnålen er hvis man har en *bror* som er *datalog*."