Re: no longer a bug.

"Mike O'Connor" <stew@vireo.org> wrote:
> from the documentation in question:
>
> "Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
> under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or
> any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with the
> Invariant Sections being ``GNU General Public License'' and ``GNU Free
> Documentation License'', with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no
> Back-Cover Texts.  A copy of the license is included in the section
> entitled ``GNU Free Documentation License''."
>
> The only things the documentation license holds as invariant are the GPL
> and the GFDL themselves, and Debian already accepts those as being
> invariant, this documentation should no longer be considered non-free in
> light of GR-2006-01.  But becuase of this, I'm copying debian-legal.

Unfortunately, no.  The GFDL already requires that the license be
included in the document, so putting it in an invariant section does
not change anything.  However, that is not true for the text of the
GPL.  If someone wants to reuse the documentation for a BSD-licensed
work, the GPL would be completely off topic.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu