Re: Free documents using non-free fonts - can they be in main?

Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2006, at 03:06, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>
>> The characters in the document are not subject to copyright.
>
> Yes, in the U.S. if all alleged computer programness of the font is
> gone and the glyphs are bitmapped or on paper but is that also true
> of embedded hinted fonts in PDF? (I thought such embedding is subject
> to license but foundries generally grant the permission to embed in
> final-form formats like PDF.)

AFAIK, if a font is included completely in the PDF doucment, i.e. not
subsetted, it's technically possible to extract it again (and even if it
is subsetted, you just have to collect enough documents to get all
glyphs).  So if it is technically possible to extract and reuse the
font, but forbidden by the license, this is non-free.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)