Re: x264 for Debian

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 01:26:56PM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:

> Are there objections to including the new H.264 encoder in Debian?
> For details, see bug 354667 (request for packaging).
>
> Debian maintainer Christian Marillat currently maintains an unofficial
> package, and we would like your advice on whether this GPL'd codec meets
> the DFSG.

Theres a difference between the code and the codec.

The codec has dozens of different corporations holding patents over it, who
will try to extract royalties for it in countries where those patents are
upheld (ie, USA), and giving it "this is free because it's GPL" hurts truely
patent-clear codecs such as VP3.2/Theora from being recognised as such.