Re: [Portaudio] Re: portaudio in Debian, license updates?

"Ross Bencina" <rbencina@iprimus.com.au>
> Hi Don
>
> Can you please identify yourself as someone who has final authority for
> giving this advice.

I will be very surprised if Don satisfies that request. No
debian decision is final: we reserve the right to find or admit
bugs in the future, whether coding, usage or licensing. The most
positive decision possible is: good enough as far as we know.

If portaudio is in main and has no open or disputed bugs at
http://bugs.debian.org/src:portaudio or elsewhere, it's OK now.

For information, the decision-makers I can think of are:
 1. the package maintainer for portaudio;
 2. the ftpmasters listed on http://ftp-master.debian.org/ who
     are supposed to listen to debian-legal, but who knows? My
     view is that if you can't get consensus from at least the
     liberal members of this list, you've some sort of problem;
 3. the debian developers by way of general resolutions to override
     ftpmaster decisions, described on http://vote.debian.org/ -
     I don't remember whether this has ever been used.

> Well, if it isn't essential I'm not going to go to the trouble of changing
> it. The PortAudio authors made it clear that this is a non-binding request a
> few years ago. Perhaps if we put up a web page to that effect it would
> sufficient to avoid this problem from arising in the future?

That sounds like a good idea to me. Reduces risk of future people
or other projects missing what we've been told.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef