Re: Adobe open source license -- is this licence free?

Wesley J. Landaker writes:

> On Friday 27 January 2006 20:29, Michael Poole wrote:
> > There's little or no evidence that requiring creators of a derivative
> > of some software to identify themselves would prevent a free use of
> > the software.  Does that mean the Dissident test is irrelevant?
>
> Yeah, since the dissident test has nothing do to with the DFSG, except by
> quite a big a stretch of the imagination.
>
> Not to say it's not a valuable thought experiment in some cases, but it sure
> isn't the great canonical test that some people here seem to think it is.

I submit that, under this logic, fees to execute software or create
derivative works are free since they are not mentioned anyhere in the
DFSG.  The usual response to this is that Debian would be restricted
in doing things like porting software, fixing bugs, and so forth.  The
SC and DFSG make no mention of those tasks, either.

Michael Poole