Re: Trademark license compatibility with GPL and/or DFSG

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> >They want their trademarks stripped from modified
> >code that is essentially different in intent and purpose from the
> >original code.
> Well, that's fine; we don't want to use their trademarks for things which
> aren't designed to work with their hardware, now do we?  (At least, except in
> a historical context, which certainly wouldn't be a trademark violation.)

What does "trademarks stripped" mean though?  Does it mean they want the
product not to be called <trademark>?  Or do they want every single line of
code that has the name in it removed, so, for instance, a help box or even
code comments that say "Based on the driver for <trademark>" must be removed?
And what if the trademark is used in a different context; would that be
like the Apache license that prohibits you from using it in a program called
"Apache Helicpoter Simulation"?