Re: review of DK and IIM patent licenses

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > This contaminates other software, by terminating for any patent action
> > against Cisco about anything. It even seems to contaminate hardware!
> Note that it only terminates the patent license, which just takes us
> back to the default state of having no patent license to start with.

Indeed. That's true for both and these licences have little effect in the
saner countries, that is those which do not permit enforceable software
patents. It is good that it's not attempting to terminate copyright
licences for patent-related actions or similar.

I do wonder: why are they keen to license patents to free software users
if there are no actively enforced patents? This looks worrying for users
in less sane countries. At best, it would be an attempt to make such
licensing commonplace and users less suspicious of it.