Re: GPL-licensed packages with depend-chain to OpenSSL

MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> writes:

> On 2004-08-12 14:31:19 +0100 Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se> wrote:
>
>> I did another google and I've found enough references on the topic
>> "openssl is PART of the OS" etc so no need to say anything else.
>
> That doesn't work. OpenSSL is not an required part of the debian
> operating system at present, so I believe that part of the GPL doesn't
> apply to this situation for us. I guess it depends what a "normal"
> distribution of debian is: required and important packages, or more?

What's in a normal Debian install doesn't matter, because it all gets
distributed together on mirrors and in cd-packs.  There's a very
specific phrase used to keep MS and Sun from shipping Emacs with their
proprietary libc: "unless that component itself accompanies the
executable."

-Brian