Re: Web application licenses

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 10:22:37AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> I just don't see how compelling source
> distribution from a networked provider actually increases freedom --
> since I don't care about changing the code I have, I care about
> changing the code *they* have.

Here's the loophole:

Take a GPLed application. Modify it. Do not release the source, or the
binaries. Run the application on your own servers, and sell accounts
to use it (via ssh, vnc, or whatever).

All these sort of licenses are trying to block this, and variations on
it. I've never actually seen one that worked without being grossly
overbearing to the point of being non-free.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |