Re: Free Debian logos? [was: Re: GUADEC report]

Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Here's my model no-nonsense license (for the "Open Use" logo; I'm not going
> to worry about the other one).
>
> Copyright license:
> "You may copy, distribute, modify, and distribute modified versions of this
> logo."

Good idea to make "distribute modified versions" explicit, but this is a
little awkward.  How about:
"You may copy and distribute this logo, with or without modification."

> Trademark license:
> "You may use this logo or a modified version of it to refer to Debian.  You
> may not use this logo, or any confusingly similar logo, to refer to
> anything else in a way which might cause confusion with Debian."
> Final clarification:
> "(If you have a modified version of this logo which is not confusingly
> similar to the original, you may use it for any purpose.)"

While I understand the purpose of such a license, I don't think works
under this license should be allowed in Debian main.  Free works must be
usable for any purpose.  This license discriminates against all fields
of endeavor other than "referring to Debian".

(Yes, I know that's the point of a trademarked logo.  Perhaps there is
some better way to do this and remain Free.)

- Josh Triplett