Re: Choice of venue, was: GUADEC report

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 06:28:32PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> What is the practical outcome of this distinction? In both cases, a user
> may discover that they no longer have the right to distribute the
> software. Why do we consider one of these cases problematic and the
> other acceptable? The user is equally screwed either way.

I tend to distinguish between being screwed by the person who distributed
the software to you in the first place (including the original author, if
one includes indirect distribution), and being screwed by some third party.

In other words, there is a difference between being screwed by people
within the Free Software community, and people outside it.

It is occasionally useful to be able to distinguish good neighbors from bad
ones.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Intellectual property is neither
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      intellectual nor property.