Re: request-tracker3: licence problem

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:44:13AM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> Andrew Stribblehill writes:
> > | By intentionally submitting any modifications, corrections or
> > | derivatives to this work, or any other work intended for use with Request
> > | Tracker, to Best Practical Solutions, LLC, you confirm that you are the
> > | copyright holder for those contributions and you grant Best Practical
> > | Solutions,  LLC a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free,
> > | perpetual, license to use, copy, create derivative works based on those
> > | contributions, and sublicense and distribute those contributions and
> > | any derivatives thereof.
> > Regardless of whether or not this can be enforced in specific
> > countries, it is now compatible with the GPL as far as I can tell.

> [snip]
> > Can anyone who had a problem with the old licence appendage confirm
> > that the new one looks okay?
>
> It looks good to me.  In addition to looking legally correct, it is
> clear that it's not a license condition, but a condition of submitting
> changes upstream.

I can't tell if this is clear.  If it's alongside the license, I'd
suspect it was intended as a license condition.  (Otherwise, how could
it possibly have any force?)  If so, it definitely seems GPL-incompatible;
it's a restriction not present in the GPL.  I don't know if that matters.

--
Glenn Maynard