Re: Choice of venue, was: GUADEC report

MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com>:

> >>1. someone can explain why choice of venue can be DFSG-free;
> >How is it not, exactly? It does not limit, in any way, your rights to
> >use, modify or distribute the software.
>
> As I understand it, it limits all those rights by allowing the
> licensor to require out-of-pocket expenditure by any licensee on legal
> representation in the given venue, instead of possibly representing
> yourself in the court local to your offence as seems to happen
> otherwise.

It might do that. Or it might have exactly the opposite effect,
depending on the legal systems involved and how they interact.

If you can show that a particular choice of venue clause has a
particular problem because of a particular combination of laws or
legal procedures, then that might be an argument for it not being
DFSG-free. Otherwise, isn't it sufficient to just mention is as a
possible risk when the licence is being discussed and leave it at
that?