Re: RE-PROPOSED: The Dictator Test

On 2004-07-12 09:18:35 +0100 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

| THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS
| LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY SUBJECT SOFTWARE IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT
| UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER.
(SGI's GLX license.)
Does such a wording really make difference from a legal point of view?
[...]

I suspect it would, as it says nothing that the disclaimer must be effective in your local law. IANAL.

Do we really want to randomly punish licenses which use the wrong
catch phrases, even if they are legally equivalent to perfectably
acceptable licenses.

No, but legal equivalence claims are very difficult to test, so be afraid.

In addition, there seems to be a general consensus in Debian *against*
the Dictator Test. [...]

This seems to be arguable, then. Please someone show data and methodology, or everyone admit they have none, then we decide how to collect some.

"Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden