Re: Free Debian logos? [was: Re: GUADEC report]

On 2004-07-10 23:13:50 +0100 Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:

IMHO, Debian logos should be DFSG-free. Their appropriate use should be
enforced via trademark laws, not copyright ones, if this is possible.

Great. Please review http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200309/msg00837.html and the original discussion of the logo licensing at http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/1999/debian-legal-199902/msg00088.html
and tell us how to proceed.

I suspect a first step is to split the licences into copyright and trademark sections if possible. I assume this needs to be a US law copyright licence and proposed to SPI's board as copyright holder? Or must debian instruct them somehow? If both, which route first?

Anyone know which package in the BTS this is filed against?

"Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden