Re: Blast from the Past: the LaTeX Project Public License, version 1.3

On 11.07.04 Branden Robinson (branden@debian.org) wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:04:51AM +0200, Hilmar Preusse wrote:

Hi $\forall$,

> > Thomas has delivered out 2.0.2 with 1.2 and I'm not sure if it
> > makes sense to put just in 1.3 and hope that every package
> > declares a dep on 1.2 or later(!).
> [...]
> > Exactly. Thomas continues releasing beta releases for the
> > upcoming teTeX 3.0 since beginning of February. At this time we
> > thought it will take just a few month, but... For some reasons we
> > won't upload to unstable but rather to experimental as soon as it
> > is released.
> >
> > > I am therefore not sure Debian is shipping anything under the
> > > new license yet.
> > >
> > No, we're releasing with 1.2.
>
> Hmmm.  I don't suppose it's a *huge* deal, but do you think we
> could ask upstream to apply the new LPPL to the existing codebase?
> This doesn't require anything more than an email on their part,
> which we could then stick in debian/copyright.

Well, our upstream is TE. Most of the code is not written by him, so
he doesn't really have control over these things. Take e.g.
KOMA-Script: the package is explicitely linked with LPPL 1.0. If you
ask Markus Kohm, he'll refuse to upgrade to the next version (at
least I read some postings about this by him in dctt). Well we could
put 1.3 into teTeX 2.0.2 and hope, that most of the problems will be
resolved then...

Regards,
  H.
--
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
  http://hilmarpreusse.forum-rheinland.de/