Re: [Fwd: Licence for Icons]

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 13:36, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I'm sorry no one has replied to you before now.  I suspect one reason may
> have been that your questions are a bit confusing.

(the question is no longer of "real" interest, since the author of
revelation does not want to use the icon in question. Nevertheless I
would like to know the answer)

Ok then let me try to clarify my inquiry :)

Fact:
      * revelation is a gnome password manager released under the GPL
        written by Erik Grinaker
      * revelation uses the same icon as xscreensaver, thus people
        having both on their panel have two applications with the same
        icon (see bug #255419)
      * I found a nice icon made by FOOD that is Licenced: " ... The
        icons are free for personal use but must not be used anywhere
        else (in software, on web sites, in themes etc.) without
        agreeing terms first. " [1]
      * in an email FOOD said: "Couldn’t you just add it in the readme
        file or about box of the software that mi icon/icons are not
        open source & must not be edited/used elsewhere without my
        permission?"
      * (Something I was told today) The icon is not GNOME HIG
        compliant, thus Erik does not want to use it with is software.

My understanding:
      * All Data in a debian package (Source, Documentation, Art, ...)
        has to comply to the DFSG.
      * Since the software is GPL the icon has to be packaged under a
        licence that is compatible with the GPL.
      * FOOD's Licence is not GPL compatible

Motivation:
      * Get FOOD to release the Icon to me/debian under a Licence, that
        enables me to package it with revelation, preferable the GPL to
        habe a single licence package
      * Understand FOOD's concerns and collect as much info as possible
        to present him with a solution/licence he might acceept

> > > is there a licence for icons?
>
> This is confusing question #1.
>
> In theory, any license can be attached to an icon.
>
> Some licenses will be more appropriate than others.
>
> If you're asking if there's some "Free Icon License" that the debian-legal
> pundits generally endorse, the answer to that is "no".  (At least, I'm not
> aware of any such thing, and I follow the list pretty closely.)

That was the question.

> > > I'd like to include an extra icon in one of my packages (revelation). I
> > > asked the creator if it would be ok to include the icon. I think he is
> > > afraid that his Icon will be GPL'ed too (his answer was not that clear).
> > >
> > > I don't know exactly what he is afraid of, but is there some official Debian
> > > document I could send him?
>
> This is confusing question #2.
>
> The most official Debian document on the subject of licensing is the Debian
> Free Software Guidelines[1].

Yes, I was looking for something like this.

> I have some questions for you that may help us to give you better advice.
>
> A) What is the icon you'd like to include?
> B) Who created the icon?
> C) Is there already a license on the icon?
> D) What is the license on the "relevation" package?  Please attach the
>    package's debian/copyright file to your reply.

I think all questions are answered above, copyright attached.

I have two questions left:

      * Are the things I assume under (My understanding) correct?
      * Is the follwing example correct?

Lets assume FOOD releases the Icon under the GPL to be packaged in
Debian. Anybody taking the icon out of the package and use it in their
own software would have to distribute the icon under the GPL too.

Now would they have to release the software under the GPL also, or could
they release the GPLed icon with their closed source software?

regards
	Stefan

[1] http://www.foood.net/icon-use.htm
--
Stefan Völkel                            stefan.voelkel@millenux.com
Millenux GmbH                              mobile: +49.170.79177.17

It was downloaded from http://oss.wired-networks.net/revelation/

Copyright:

This software is released under the GPL v2. On Debian systems the license can be
found under /usr/share/common-licenses.