Re: [Fwd: Licence for Icons]

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:55:44AM +0000, Stefan Völkel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was told to post my question on d-legal, please CC me as I am not
> subscribed.

I'm sorry no one has replied to you before now.  I suspect one reason may
have been that your questions are a bit confusing.

> > is there a licence for icons?

This is confusing question #1.

In theory, any license can be attached to an icon.

Some licenses will be more appropriate than others.

If you're asking if there's some "Free Icon License" that the debian-legal
pundits generally endorse, the answer to that is "no".  (At least, I'm not
aware of any such thing, and I follow the list pretty closely.)

> > I'd like to include an extra icon in one of my packages (revelation). I
> > asked the creator if it would be ok to include the icon. I think he is
> > afraid that his Icon will be GPL'ed too (his answer was not that clear).
> >
> > I don't know exactly what he is afraid of, but is there some official Debian
> > document I could send him?

This is confusing question #2.

The most official Debian document on the subject of licensing is the Debian
Free Software Guidelines[1].

I have some questions for you that may help us to give you better advice.

A) What is the icon you'd like to include?
B) Who created the icon?
C) Is there already a license on the icon?
D) What is the license on the "relevation" package?  Please attach the
   package's debian/copyright file to your reply.

I should point out that the only person who can apply a license to a work
is the copyright holder.  If the icon's creator is the sole author of the
work, and he or she doesn't apply the GNU GPL to the icon, then the GNU GPL
does not and will not apply to it.

It *is* possible that the icon can be licensed such that someone *else* can
modify it and *then* apply the GNU GPL to the modified version.

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      To stay young requires unceasing
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      cultivation of the ability to