Re: CeCILL license : Free Software License for french research

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:36:10PM -0700, Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> wrote:
> The license also contains many clauses that suggest a belief that the
> license controls _use_ of the software, which has no backing in (US, at
> least) copyright law.  While these clauses do not seem to be non-free,
> they do set a bad example.

One of the goals was to create a license which is compatible with french
law. (It isn't clear whether the GPL is.)

> However, all that is most likely a non-issue, given:
> >>5.3.4. COMPATIBILITY WITH THE GPL LICENSE
> >>
> >>In the event that the Modified or unmodified Software includes a code
> >>that is subject to the provisions of the GPL License, the Licensee is
> >>authorized to redistribute the whole under the GPL License.
> >>
> >>In the event that the Modified Software includes a code that is subject
> >>to the provisions of the GPL License, the Licensee is authorized to
> >>redistribute the Modified Software under the GPL License.
>
> This clause seems to clearly allow usage of the licensed software under
> the GPL, which would remove any issues of Freeness with the rest of the
> license.

IANAL, but I'm not sure of this clause. I find it too vague.
1) "GPL" is never explained. Any license named "GPL" would suit ? Like
the Grr Pfff Lol License ?

2) Which version of GPL should be used ? Any ? The current version ? The
current version or any later ? This could cause problems when
integrating CeCILLed software into GPLed apps.

What do you think of this ?
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net    lnu@gnu.org    GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |
| jabber: lucas@linux.ensimag.fr   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net |
| fingerprint: 075D 010B 80C3 AC68 BD4F B328 DA19 6237 023B 3F4F |