Re: xinetd license possibly violates DFSG #4

Andreas Metzler wrote:

>I do not consider this to "go much further than that". The intention is
>imho the one DFSG4 tries to carter for. The author wants:
>a) derivatives being detectable as such.
>b) derivatives have to keep out of xinetd's namespace. He wants to
>forbid a derivative being numbered as xinetd 2.3.15, taking away the
>official version number.

But it also forbids incorporating sections of code from xinetd into any
other work unless those change their version string to match. Simply
requiring that the name be changed would have the desired effect and be
DFSG-free (grudgingly on our part, but I understand authors' concerns
here to some extent).

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org