Re: databases not copyrightable in the USA (was: CA certificates)

Humberto Massa wrote:

> Branden, in Brasil, the copyrights law (9610/98) makes databases
> copyrighted, IF and only if "their selection, organization, or the
> disposition of their content" is a novel intellectual creation. The CDDB,
> for example, would not be covered by this definition (its selection,
> organization and disposition content are automatically-generated). CA
> certificates (the original topic) aren't covered either because they are
> not novel intellectual creations (they also are automatically-generated).
>
> In another topic, I prefer the term "copyrighted". "Copyrightable" is an
> ugly, ugly term... and everything that is copyrightable is copyrighted by
> default...

Well, except for those works for which copyright has expired or for which it
has been renounced?

This wasn't always the case, anyway; it used to be that you had to *do*
something to claim copyright on a published work.  That was a better
system.  :-/