Re: reiser4 non-free?

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere in this thread or if this is overly
simplistic, but:

Is there a reason why the reiserfsprogs package couldn't fork and
continue under a free license?  It is in Debian, licensed under GPLv2.

As I understand it, this would be analogous to the msttcorefonts, where
Microsoft stopped distributing the fonts and changed their license, but
the terms of the license allowed redistribution so someone just set up a
new source for the fonts.

(I understand forking is bad for many reasons in this context, but
wouldn't it allow us to keep reiserfsprogs in main?)
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org