Re: reiser4 non-free?

Humberto Massa wrote:

(and I'm assuming reiser4, for instance, is a derived work of the linux kernel),

ReiserFS is not, it was created with the intent to port to other operating systems, and at least one of our customers has done so for V3, and I hope/expect others and I will do so for V4.

While I agree that Reiser4 plugins would be considered derived works legally, I think that unless the language is clear people will attempt to apply the linker rule to them (which has no legal basis but is what people act on). Lawsuits against persons who had different interpretations waste money.

I renew my plea for a peaceful and consensual resolution of these matters. Thank you, and please keep up the good work in the filesystems.

I hope you get your wishes in the matter.