Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

On 2004-05-04 18:02:28 +0100 Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com> wrote:

There is a difference between free software and plagiarizable software.

There is a difference between free software and forced-advert software, too. There is also the difference between a duck.

Debian wants software to be both free and plagiarizable.

Debian has not expressed that view, to the best of my knowledge.

XFree86 and I want our software to be free but not plagiarizable.

Great! I look forward to you both fixing your licences.

In general, I want software to not be plagiarizable, as I think it works against the societal interest to not attribute accurately.

I agree.

Saying that plagiarism is an important freedom is like saying assault is something you must be allowed to do if you are to be considered free.

No-one has said that. You seem to be constructing straw men.

In case you missed it, the problem which makes XFree86's latest licence definitely non-free (not just GPL-incompatible) is independent of their advertising clause.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.