Re: Squeak in Debian?

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> "Lex Spoon" <lex@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> >
> > I've posted a summary of the discussion on including Squeak in non-free:
> >
> > 	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3733
> >
> > I'll edit it as issues come up.  There are two open issues:
>
> The indemnification clause is _not_ acceptable.  Using phrases like
> "it is extremely unlikely" won't cut it.

Why not?  We are talking about whether we find it acceptible to
distribute Squeak, not whether Squeak is completely DFSG free.  What
standard do you propose?  If you worry about every imaginable legal
action, then we end up doing nothing, so surely we need to assess
*realistic* risk.

Keep in mind that "it is extremely unlikely" was only part of the
argument.  There is also that we are only liable "to the extent that"
our distribution is involved in the case.  Further, we can choose to
defend the case ourselves if we prefer, just as if we'd been sued
directly.  In total, this seems like we end up with the same level of
liability we already have.

> > 1. Export regs.  Are our servers up to snuff for avoiding export to US
> > embargoed countries?  (It looks to me that we need to handle this
> > anyway, even aside from Squeak's license.)
>
> As I understand it, the US servers do not export software to those
> countries.  However, probably not all of the non-us mirrors check
> whether a request originates from Cuba [1].  In that case, the mirrors
> would be violating the license (but no law that applies to them).
> This is different from what I said before, because I didn't think
> about mirrors outside the US redistributing software to Cuba.

We probably need to have all the mirrors following US export law.  How
hard would that be to implement?  The thing is, if a Swiss Debian mirror
allows downloads from Cuba, and a US-based server lets that mirror
download stuff from the US, then the US-based server is breaking US
export law.  You can't export from US to Cuba either directly or
indirectly.

Now, there are exceptions to export law involving stuff that is
publically available and/or free.  Also, posting on an ftp site might or
might not be considered "exporting".  So there are at least two
loopholes we might be able to exploint.  IANAL so I can't tell.

-Lex