Re: Debian Official Use Logo is packaged in desktop-base

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> I don't recall a committee, and I'm not sure why there would have been one.

See the thread "Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo" in the
debian-project archives for 10/2003.  I believe some trademark committee
was mentioned as looking into the logo licenses.

> The OU logo is deliberately non-free--it would serve no purpose if it was
> freely usable.

It serves no purpose now.  The license is badly worded, has bizarre
exceptions (You can put the official logo on a t-shirt but not in a
package.)  And it is the height of hypocrisy for the symbol of a free
software organization to be non-free software itself.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>