firmwares in the 2.4.25 Linux kernel (Debian sources)
Hello Debian legal,
I have made a very cursory check of firmware in the 2.4.25 kernel.
If you want some fun first, look at  below.
Basically I have looked at filenames matching *fw*.[ch]:
firmware with complete source code (in assembly):
firmware with complete source code (in CPP macros implementing an asm)
firmware with a copyright notice from the hardware manufacturer:
drivers/usb/emi26_fw.h (non redistributable)
drivers/net/typhoon-firmware.h BSD/3 with an extra disclaimer 
drivers/ip2/fip_firm.h (unspecified, probably GPL)
drivers/net/tokenring/tms380tr_microcode.h (nonfree) 
drivers/net/tokenring/3c359_microcode.h (nonfree) 
drivers/sound/724hwmcode.h (not used) (unspecified)
drivers/sound/ymfpci_image.h (unspecified, probably GPL)
With a copyright notice from other:
drivers/usb/kawethfw.h (Apparently the firmware code was made from data
given by the hardware manufacturer so probably
used with permission.)
drivers/usb/vicam.c (no indication how the firmware was derived.)
drivers/net/ptifddi_asm.h (no indication how the firmware was derived.)
drivers/net/myri_code.h (no indication how the firmware was derived.)
Well, at least that show that at least 5 firmwares are shipped with
sources and that some hardware manufacturers has some strange ways to use
I apologize for any errors, omission and misunderstanding that are
present in this list.
Imagine a large red swirl here.
 which give a nice definition of IP:
* USER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT PURCHASE OR USE OF THE 3CR990img.h
* MICROCODE SOFTWARE WILL NOT CREATE OR GIVE GROUNDS FOR A LICENSE BY
* IMPLICATION, ESTOPPEL, OR OTHERWISE IN ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
* (PATENT, COPYRIGHT, TRADE SECRET, MASK WORK, OR OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHT)
* EMBODIED IN ANY OTHER 3COM HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE EITHER SOLELY OR IN
* COMBINATION WITH THE 3CR990img.h microcode SOFTWARE
 From drivers/atm/fore200e_firmware_copyright:
These microcode data are placed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
We would prefer you not to distribute modified versions of it and not to ask
for assembly or other microcode source.
* The firmware this driver downloads into the tokenring card is a
* separate program and is not GPL'd source code, even though the Linux
* side driver and the routine that loads this data into the card are.
* This firmware is licensed to you strictly for use in conjunction
* with the use of SysKonnect TokenRing adapters. There is no
* waranty expressed or implied about its fitness for any purpose.