Re: freeamp -> zinf transition

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

[Cc'ed -legal, as this is a legal question; please CC me on replies,
 I'm not on -legal]

> Hello.
>
> I have just noticed today that freeamp has been sort-of-renamed to
> zinf in sarge.
>
> Is there any particular reason why a dummy freeamp package does not
> exist for the transition to be smooth?
>
> The upgrade from woody to sarge is currently broken: "apt-get upgrade"
> does not upgrade sox and vorbis-tools because doing so would remove
> freeamp, and of course freeamp is not upgraded to zinf as it should be.
>
> A dummy package would solve this problem easily.

I'll provide one ASAP, however a problem is that "Amp" is a trademark
of NullSoft (the company producing WinAmp) and thus FreeAmp has
been renamed. Are there any legal implications of keeping a package
named freeamp in Debian (or at least in Sarge)?

Thanks, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann