Re: possible licensing issues with some scsh source files

(I'm the new maintainer of the Debian package of scsh)

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:07:18PM -0700, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:

>> ;;; 2. Users of this software agree to make their best efforts (a) to return
>> ;;;    to the T Project at Yale any improvements or extensions that they make,
>> ;;;    so that these may be included in future releases; and (b) to inform
>> ;;;    the T Project of noteworthy uses of this software.

> This clause is moot, because "The T Project at Yale" has not existed
> for the last fifteen years.  So a best effort would be a seance at
> which a psychic medium channels the spirit of a project past.

It might be interpreted as "The Yale university" or "ex-t-project
members, wherever they are now". This introduces FUD.

> Free or not, this is indeed a pretty lame license.  The maintainer

(Daniel has been kind enough to do the job of helping upstream handle
 this)

> might want to contact the upstream author (Olin Shivers) who I
> suspect would be willing to get the license changed.

All parts under Olin Shivers's copyright are already relicensed to BSD
no-ad. The issue remaining are in files that bear another copyright
notice, from another holder.

--
Lionel