Re: Proposed Apache license & patent/reciprocity issues

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 10:32:09AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> While considering that, I noticed something that seems odd. There
> seems to be nothing to prevent a litigator from obtaining a new copy
> of the software and using that instead. The new patent licence grant
> isn't conditional on not currently suing IBM, and I think that would
> fail DFSG 5 if it did. The terminations all seem to be from date of

GPL#4:

"... Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the
Program is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this
License."

What prevents me, after violating the license, from obtaining a new copy
of the software and using (copying, modifying, distributing) that instead?

I assume it doesn't work that way.  I don't really know how it does work,
though.

--
Glenn Maynard